Monday, January 10, 2011

Hatching Chick Bento! Plus a Tiffany & Co. Cake!



I thought it was time for some new 2011 Bento!   I think this one turned out very sweet.
I followed the instructions on pg. 138 of Yum-Yum Bento Box to make the hatching chick.
Isn't she cute with her cute little food pick bow.

The chick sits in a pink silicon baking cup filled with shredded cheese and then trimmed with some edible green apple Eatster grass (that I found at Target last Easter).  I used a nori punch to make the eyes and a small piece of carrot cut like a diamond for the beak.

I pitted the Bing cherries with my handy dandy cherry pitter from William Sonoma.
This is a must have tool if you love fresh cherries!
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/oxo-olive-and-cherry-pitter/
OXO Olive & Cherry Pitter

Added one of my leafy stem food picks to the cherries and filled a rooster sauce container with ketchup for the egg.


Placed a silicon food divider between the cherries and yogurt covered pretzels in the back row.  A little plastic chick food divider peeks up from in between the pretzels.


Added a couple chicky food picks and two carrots.
And here's the finished lunch. Grin.


Remember the banana cake recipe I posted?
http://thelemonista.blogspot.com/2010/12/santas-sleigh-lands-on-my-banana-cake.html

I got a wild hair after dinner the other night and whipped up this cake.


This was a 10 min. decorating job, so not my finest, but I think you can get the idea.  If I spend a little more time on this one, I think it could really be pretty!

I made the same recipe linked above, but baked the cake in a 7" X 11" cake pan for 28 min.  Cooled the cake completely.  Cut the cake in half.  Spread the filling and sliced bananas on half the cake and placed the other half on top.  Then I tinted the icing Tiffany blue. 
Frosted the whole cake.  Quickly rolled and cut some ribbon out of white fondant icing.
Finally I printed the Tiffany & Co. logo, cut it out and placed it on the cake to look like a tag.
All the while, vultures swarmed around me in the kitchen...


 
Two seconds after I snapped the photo, the vultures descended. Grin.
 

5 comments:

  1. So adorable Erin. You are an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful and tastes even better (your banana cake is to die for)! I love the hatching hard boiled eggs too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job... I need to start "copying" some of these ideas ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome blog, I just found you on Fancy Flours FB page and thought I'd check you out, glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I just checked out your blog and I'm blown away with your talent! Wow!

    ReplyDelete